Two Big Reminders:
- Protect your eyes and exposed skin from the sun. Even on the most freezing, overcast day, the sun’s rays bounce off the snow and can be very harmful.
- Cotton clothing is like a sponge; it traps and holds moisture. In freezing temperatures, this will debilitate your body’s attempt to keep warm.
Taos is a world-class skiing and snowboarding destination. The legendary Ernie Blake built this resort while living with his wife, Rhoda, and their kids in a trailer in the parking lot. The motto here is: Taos is a four-letter word for “steep.”
Angel Fire offers some serious fun, without too many difficult challenges. This ski resort is popular with families and beginner-to-intermediate skiers.
Red River is a former mining town with all the charm. The ski area is an exciting place to take your turns, and you’ll have fun strolling the shops and restaurants on Main Street.
Sipapu is a family-run resort (founded by Lloyd and Olive Bolander). Their emphasis on family remains unchanged today. Expect a lot of good times for the kiddies.
Nordic Skiing and Snowshoeing
Cross-country skiing (also known as Nordic skiing) is a full-body aerobic workout. You’re skating your legs, pumping your arms –– whew! But the best part is, you can take it as slow or as fast as you want.
- Over 30k of cross country trails
- 15k of trails for snowshoeing
- 5k of specially designated trails for skiing or snowshoeing with dogs